When many people think of edibles they think of marijuana edibles that have high levels of THC but you don’t have to limit yourself to psychoactive baked goods. CBD can make for a great addition to baked goods and a very appetizing way to experience the benefits of CBD such as anxiety relief, pain relief, focus aid, and neurological protection. Before we go into how to make your own CBD brownies we are going to take a look at some of the most important tips for making CBD baked good.
Tips for Making CBD Baked Goods
Consider Your CBD Dosage
There are two reasons to consider your CBD dosage when baking. First of all, you want to use enough CBD so that every piece of brownie gets the same dosage of CBD in it. For example, if you put in 200 milligrams of CBD you will get 20 milligrams if you split the brownies into 10 squares. Calculating this will help to ensure you get the benefits you desire from the CBD.
The second reason you need to consider dosage when baking is the fact that everyone has different dosages that work for them. Before you make your first CBD brownies you should establish what dose of CBD works best for you.
Be Careful With Temperatures
CBD has a lower boiling point than the other ingredients in brownies and other baked goods, the boiling point is at 340 degrees. Keep the temperature below 340 to avoid evaporation of the CBD and the reduction in potency of any remaining CBD oil in the baked goods. For recipes that call for higher temperatures, you can use higher temperatures but for a very limited amount of times, you will want to keep an eye on the baked goods to make sure that you take them out before they start to boil.
Storing Goods Baked with CBD
CBD is sensitive to light, as such you will want to store the CBD in a dark and relatively cool area such as your pantry. Both light and temperature can ruin the CBD goods while leaving them appearing normal, so proper storage is essential for ensuring maximum potency. If you want to store them in a well-lit area, use a storage container that has tinted or otherwise obscured sides to prevent light from penetrating into the storage container.
Start With Recipes
Because of the fragile nature of CBD when it comes to baking is a good idea to start by learning a few recipes and then experimenting from there, this will help you to establish an idea of how to bake with CBD. There are plenty of recipes on the Internet to help you start the learning process, today’s is just one example of the many recipes that are out there.
You will want to ensure that you are cooking with quality CBD tinctures so that you get the most benefit possible. Botanima Organics offers quality CBD tinctures that can be used for baking, they are available in five different concentrations: 240 mg, 500 mg, 1,000 mg, and 1,500 mg. Our recipe is assuming you are using a 1,000 mg CBD tinctureץ If you’re using a different tincture adjusted accordingly.
CBD may have an earthy taste when you’re baking with it, to help counteract that Botanima Organics offers traditional CBD and CBD in three other flavors, peppermint, orange, and lemon. These flavors can add a unique hint of taste to a brownie or any other baked goods.
Skip Taking CBD
Part of knowing how to take CBD oil properly is ensuring that you do not take too much, more CBD oil than your body is used to may result in you feeling tired or sleepy. When you are eating CBD oil brownies you want to adjust the amount of CBD oil you take a day to account for the amount of CBD in each brownie. Our brownie recipe will have about 14 mg of CBD per brownie. Keep this in mind when you are cooking your brownies as you may want to adjust the amount of CBD and the brownie to account for the missed dose, some people like to take all their CBD in the Brownie while others like to only take a portion of it in edible form and the rest in a tincture, pill, or similar method.
CBD Brownies - Recipe
Brownies are a very good option for creating CBD goodies because they are a very versatile and tasty food, you can add just about anything you want to brownies and have them still taste good. You can even cross them and make them into mini cakes. The brownies we are going to make today are delicious chocolate chip filled CBD brownies that take about 30 minutes to bake.
- ⅓ cup of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ tsp - 1 tsp salt per taste preference
- 50 grams of cooled coconut oil or ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ cup of flour
- 2 large cage-free eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 grams of chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 132 mg of CBD oil (assuming 1000 mg CBD tincture)
You may also wish to add nuts to the recipe, but notes or personal preference many people are allergic to them so we are going to leave them out.
- It may help if you preheat your oven before starting the process so that it’s ready to go when you need it, we are going to cook our brownies at 340°.
- The first step to the recipe is to mix your CBD oil into your oil base, for the purpose of this instructions will be using the vegetable oil. Take your half cup of vegetable oil and mix in the desired amount of CBD, for most adults the amount of CBD you want to add to this is around 132 mg of CBD. For a CBD bottle with a 33 mg per 1 ml dropper, this would be about 4 to 5 full squeezes. Mix the two oils together thoroughly so that when you pour them into the brownie mix they will be evenly spread.
- Pour sugar into a mixing bowl and then add the oil mix that you created, blending together the two.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the mixture that you created and continue stirring until the mixture is well blended.
- In a separate mixing bowl put all of the remaining dry ingredients together and stir them until they are well mixed. This includes the chocolate chips or chocolate chunks and if you are going to add them, the nuts.
- Mix together both the dry and the wet mixtures until they are well mixed and no lumps are present (no, not the chocolate chips, batter lumps).
- Grease a brownie pan or butter it, depending on your preference and pour in the combined mixture.
- Bake the mixture for 20 to 30 minutes while keeping an eye on it every few minutes to ensure that it is not boiling. Your brownies will be done when you can stick a toothpick into the center and it comes away with very few brownie crumbs on it.
- Before removing from the pan or eating make sure that you let the brownies completely cool inside the pan.
Congratulations! Now you’ve made wonderfully delightful CBD brownies that you can enjoy by yourself or with your friends. After you made the recipe for the first time we encourage you to experiment with it to match it to your tastes and to get the right level of CBD for yourself.